Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hearty Beef Stew

This is a favorite around here when the snow starts to fall. I love it because it is so easy to make. The key to a good stew is not to rush things. Get started early so you can let the meat simmer for awhile.



1-2 lbs beef cut into 1 inch cubes (I use whatever I can get that is cheap,chuck, or any pot roast type of cut)
1/2 medium onion diced
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 Tablespoons of flour
4-6 cups of water
2-3 good size potatoes peeled and cubed
4-6 carrots
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1-2tsp salt
3-4 drops Worcestershire sauce

In a large heavy pot saute on medium heat onion with oil and butter for about 3-4 min. Add crushed garlic. Saute for one more minute. Turn up your heat to med high add the cubed beef and sear. Turn heat down and brown for about 3-4 more min. Add your flour and mix until it coats the beef, this will work as a thickening agent for the stew. Add 4 cups of water. Cover pot and let meat simmer for 2-3 hours. Keep checking it periodically to make sure that you have plenty of water and that it is at a simmer, not boiling.

Sometimes I let it simmer for more than 3hours, just depends on how much time I have. An hour before you are planning to eat add potatoes and carrots. If you add them to soon then they will be very mushy. Use the amount of veggies that you like, I use more vegetables than meat because it saves money. You may need to add more water. It all depends on how much evaporated while simmering and how thick or thin you like your stew. I like thick stew so I don't add as much water.

Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked add your spices. This is a hard recipe for me to give measurements. I always make this to taste and have no set measurement for any of the spices. I do put in about a 1/4 cup barbecue sauce because it adds a nice smoky flavor. I also like adding a good bit of Worcestershire sauce. Tailor it to what your family likes. Then dish it up and serve! I like making things look pretty so I add a touch of green with parsley on top. I also usually serve this with warm wheat bread or rolls.

1 comment:

  1. I love stew! It's a comfort food from my childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete